Monday, October 14, 2013

1st Day of Team Training

Wow!  What a great first day of team training!  The morning was without the dogs for clicker training and practice.  Since Keith and I have so much experience with this since we started puppy sitting SSD dogs in April, we were able to use a lot of the time to work with Emma and HER handling the treat pouch and treats.  Since this is Emma's dog, it is very important that all food and treats come from her or the dog will bond with us.  That is NOT what we want.  Emma was awake and giggly all morning.  We knew that she understood that she would get to see Kindle after lunch.  After lunch, Kindle was brought in.  She was wearing her new collar we got for her - "BFFs!"  Kindle was soooo excited to see Emma that for the first 5-10 minutes she just wanted to lick and kiss her!  After everyone settled in, we began working on how to have us give the verbal cue to Kindle, but have Emma give the treat.  Not easy!  We will continue to work on it.  The best part was watching Emma and Kindle start to bond.  I could've sat and watched for hours!  Emma began touching her on her own and Kindle initiated contact as well.  We learned Emma loves the cue "bump" which would cue Kindle to bump Emma's leg with her nose.  Emma laughed every time and would move her leg back to bump Kindle to get her to do it again.  We can already see how they will teach and learn from each other.  3 more nights until we bring her home!  We can't wait to go back tomorrow!!
Hello to my first graders!!!  I hope that you enjoyed your 3-day weekend!  When you go back to school  tomorrow, I will be hard at work at "doggy school!"  I know that you will do a great job for Mrs. McCarthy.  I have everything ready for you for the week and Mrs. McCarthy will know JUST what to do.  I need each one of you to be a helper and do your best work and be on your best behavior for her.  I know you will!  I can't wait to hear if you got a blue cone at lunch at all this week!  You are so close! Green is great too!  I will miss you very much and don't forget to check in again tomorrow night and see what we learned about Kindle!!




No comments:

Post a Comment